Sunday, March 21, 2010

sunday, march 21,2010

i am sorry sir, i left my streimel at home....

monsey...there is no place in the world like monsey. Except for maybe poland, circa 1929...oy my yiddeshe mama. I went shopping for the passover holiday in pants...i enjoy striking up conversation with the black hatted, long curly sideburned young men...the terror in their eyes-if only i only knew yiddish...only in monsey can you leave your stroller(sleeping baby included) right at the entrance to an already crowded, smelly store and just go and do your shopping with your 7 other dressed-in-matching outfits children...leaving no room for anyone else to get in....ah-the joy....the manners...the pushy, large bottomed women trying to get past you by actually, physically moving you.(and if they can move me, you know those bottoms must have been pretty large)...all this AND music from fiddler on the roof playing in the background. heaven on earth...

only in monsey do you see stores name "wok n take out"-get it? walk in-take out-love it!!
"Elegant heimishe dining and catering"-well what kind of restaraunt in a strip mall wouldn't be elegant and heimishe? "Nussy's Fine Cuisine"-need i say more? I am putting my house up for sale and moving to the promised land.....it doesn't get much better than that....

so many hundreds of dollars later...i am almost all done with my shopping (that is right ari, ALMOST...will be spending just a bit more....though the kind butcher did give me a FREE shankbone-only in monsey) and i finally realize why there is so much involved with this holiday-the jews in egypt did not have it easy-moving through the desert, carrying their belonging...giving birth to children and just scooping them up and moving along...so my shlepping 30 bags of groceries and 12 bottles of orange soda so ari doesn't get kidney stones while his doctor is away for the holiday is almost as strenuous...i am getting a feel for what my bretheren in the desert went through ( bretheren should really be "sisters" as i am sure the wives did all the heavy lifting and kept yelling at their husbands for not helping....)

So maybe it really isn't the same....truth is, my favorite memories of my grandparents revolved around passover-making charoset with my papa, eating the matzo cereal he would make for me...i hope my kids will cherish the memories they are making with their grandparents over the holiday...it almost makes it all worthwhile-actually, i found out that there IS kosher for passover vodka(only in monsey) so perhaps it will be totally worthwhile after all...

good luck to all of you staying home for the holidays...for those of you going away-i wish you safe travels (no, really, i do..)

happy sunday

No comments:

Post a Comment