Friday, January 15, 2010

January 15, 2010

omg..i can't believe we are really doing it.

Over a year ago, a good friend of mine did the chai lifeline half marathon in Las Vegas. I asked Jack if he would want to do it for his bar mitzva chesed project and he said "People get shot in Las Vegas, let's do the one in Miami." I am not sure where he got his crime statistics from....but in two weeks we are doing the half marathon in Miami. We got our information packets in the mail today and I cannot believe that over a year has gone by since we had the initial discussion. I am so proud of him. Thanks to our friends and family, we have raised almost 8 thousand dollars for a really amazing organization.

But here is what is freaking me out...well, a few things. The shuttle to the race leaves at 4:30 in the morning....4:30 IN THE MORNING!!!!!! 4:30 isn't the morning, it is the night. What the hell are these race people thinking??? How am i expected to finish 13.1 miles, if I have to get up in the middle of the night?!?!?!?!

The second thing is that Jack and I have to complete the 13.1 miles in less than 4 hours, or they close the finish line. Well, what happens if we are having a particularly slow morning? After all, we didn't get much sleep the night before, if they close the finish line, how will we know where to go?? Does that mean we just never finish and keep on going? I am supposed to be the responsible parent on this trip(because Ari isn't coming with us) and I am already nervous that we wont finish in time, we will never get back to the hotel, miss our flights and be stranded in Miami. Now, Jack probably will think that this is a good thing because he is hoping that both he and the Vikings will be in Miami for the superbowl....me, I am not thinking those same thoughts.

But in two weeks, we will, GOD Willing, be in Miami. Just me and Jack...on an adventure. We hopefully finish all 13.1 miles without killing ourselves or eachother. I told him that we should syn our ipods so we can listen to the same music at the same time, but I think we will just end up talking about sports for the whole race (he will talk, I will listen)....and I just can't wait. I can't imagine that he will want to spend another weekend alone in Miami with his mom, that is, of course, until his wife won't come with him to visit me when I am living there in my retirement years.....

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment