Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Wednesday February 23,2011

Post traumatic ballet disorder


Some people have flashbacks that are drug induced...food induced..love induced, well, I had a flashback that was musically induced. I brought a friend to THE GYM with me on a weeks pass(yes, I really do like this friend even though I brought her to the cold, unfriendly, skinny environment of THE GYM) and we decided to try the zumba class.

Zumba is basically a dance class taught by a very coordinated teacher who knows how to move and has a class full of women following her in an attempt to burn some calories and hopefully not trip over their own two feet (or maybe that was just me...) though the Japanese lady in front of me made me feel more like Jennifer Lopez and less like Jennifer Hudson pre-weight watchers...but I digress..

As the class is coming to an end, the teacher puts on one last song....a classical piece, one put on so the class can do some final stretches and deep breathing. As soon as the song came on, I started to feel a little clammy...my breathing got shallow..and then I realized, this was the song that they played at the Irene fokene school of ballet....the one where pudgy banji went for too many years to mention....I actually looked down to make sure I hadn't left the house in my too tight black leotard(sorry for the visual) and pink tights(did that make the visual worse?) as I looked around the class, I watched the various women doing their stretches...I took a deep breath...said to myself "I am forty and fabulous, I too am a strong woman and can get into that position....". And then I ran out of the room as fast as my 40 year old legs could carry me......

And again, I would like to thank my parents for sending me there....the memories are priceless.....too bad I missed the castings calls for black swan....

Happy wednesday

No comments:

Post a Comment